Making something with my hands is a real pleasure for me. I love various techniques and crafts, but knitting and sewing work the best for me. This must be because of the materials. I love working with threads and fabrics – they keep the warmth and love of the person who works with them.
Sewing is a great hobby that offers many creative opportunities. However, you need a proper appliance to make sew projects that are really good. Sewing machines and sergers are versatile and sometimes it’s hard to understand how to choose the first sewing machine. Here are a few simple tips to get you started.
How To Choose A Sewing Machine For Beginners
- Consider the technique and tasks you will perform with your sewing machine. Do you need it for simple home tasks like clothes repair, or you will use the sewing machine for more ambitious projects like sewing garment or embroidery.
- As a beginner you may start with simpler models, but if you are to create various craft projects not just for your family needs you may choose the sewing machine with a wider range of features.
- Choosing the perfect brand for you is important. It’s better to opt for a renowned brand of the sewing machine as in that case you won’t have any problems with additional accessories or spare parts and repair.
- Consider the weight and size of the machine. You will need space for your hobby so it’s better to look up for the sewing machine that fits your crafting area. If you’re taking sewing classes you may consider a lightweight sewing machine with a carrying case.
- Think of the fabrics you mostly use for your projects. Larger and more expensive models usually designed with a great variety of for managing all types of fabrics. However, you may choose lighter models that are to take on only some basic fabric types.
- Additional features are useful if you know how to use them. Many manufacturers offer various accessories for their models. Computerized sewing machines also allow adding stitches or techniques. A hint: choose the sewing machine with an auto-thread function to save your time and prevent frustration.
SINGER Pixie-Plus Craft Machine
Small and portable, SINGER Pixie-Plus Craft Machine is a real time-saver for those how need to repair clothes or providing smaller craft projects. The great sewing machine for a beginner, Singer Pixie-Plus runs on either AC power or four AA batteries what makes it extremely convenient for everyday use.
- Crafting machine with four stitches
- Included accessories
- Sew with either AC power or batteries
- Sews monofilament
- Weighs 5 pounds; measures 11 by 5 by 10-1/2 inches. 110 volt machine designed
- For United States and Canadian use only
- Includes Foot Pedal
I love this machine. I have had no problems with it. I make dog beds and have to sew through 6 layers and this machine does it with no problem. Catching the bobbin thread is tricky but I have always been able to get it. I luv the stitch options and the accessory pack. This is my first machine and I am a complete beginner. My first dog bed is the first thing I ever sewn with a machine. Would always recommend
Purchased this item as a Christmas gift for my 10 year old granddaughter. Since my daughter-in-law likes to sew, I thought they would enjoy doing this together. Boy was I right! She is making things for her dolls and her friend’s dolls. Very high quality machine. I highly recommend this product. Also purchased the beginners sewing kit so she has her personal items.
Brother Designio Computerized Sewing & Quilting Machine
Brother Designio DZ2400 is a computerized sewing machine that has pretty all features that any sophisticated craft addict needs. An outstanding number of stiches including 55 alphanumeric stitches allows you creating any designs you may imagine. With larger workspace you have more ability for maneuver.
- The DZ2400 includes 12 sewing and quilting feet giving you a wide variety of choices for creative flexibility
- Enjoy a wide range of 185 built-in stitches, including 130 sewing stiches, plus 55 alphanumeric stitches
- Professional, stylish buttonholes: 8 styles of 1-step buttonholes automatically sized to fit your specific buttons, for a true designer finish
- Comes complete with a full set of designer accessories, including an extra wide table that makes your total workspace 33% larger* and is ideal for formal wear, costumes and quilts
- Reliable, easy threading of both top thread and bobbin: for consistent, high quality stitch formation
This machine has more features than many costing twice as much. I could spend the next six months trying them all. It seems sufficiently well made to last, and yet it is very light and easy to move around. I have used Brother before and found them to be sturdy and reliable, so I am looking forward to learning the bells & whistles on this model. The expansion of the sewing surface has made my small projects much easier to manipulate; I imagine it would be a real gift for a big sewing project.
This machine is an upgrade from my Brother LS2125i. Considering myself still a sewing novice, I have learned that Brother machines are the best. They are inexpensive, and easy to use. The machine comes with a DVD that explains how to do pretty much everything, which is great for people like me who hate to read the instruction manual. I cannot comment on it’s quilting abilities, as my sewing is primarily for fashion and home decor. So far I’ve had no issues sewing “heavy” fabrics such as Denim (however I have not tried leather). The stitches come out nice and even despite going over “fabric bumps” in the seams. Overall it’s a great machine and I’m very happy with it.
Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
Brother Designio Serger is a perfect helper for any craftsperson. Designed to help quickly and easily cut and finish any type of garment, this serger runs on a great variety of fabrics. An included instructional DVD helps you serging with ease and finish any project you create in a blink of an eye.
- The DZ1234 Serger includes Blind Hem Stitch Foot, Gathering Foot and Piping Foot, plus 2 sets of starter thread to give you everything you need to create customized, high-end finishes on all your designs.
- Sew up to 1,300 stitches per minute to create couture-level fashions faster than ever.
- Enjoy reliable, Easy Color-Coded Threading so you no longer have to struggle to thread your serger.
- The Differential Fabric Feed offers a 0.7 – 2.0 ratio on many fabrics, even lightweight knits, offering durable and consistent stitch quality virtually every time.
- The stitch width can be easily adjusted between 3.0mm and 7.0mm, helping to provide the perfect stitch width for your project
I’ve never owned a serger before, but have wanted one for years. It’s an investment, however, and so I put it off for far too long. When I got the chance to own the Brother Designio, I jumped. First off, right out of the box the serger impresses. It’s compact, clearly labeled, and easy to set up. I had no trouble getting it threaded and trying it out on a piece of scrap knit (stretchy) fabric. Easy peasy! I can’t wait to try hemming jeans, since it seems they never come at just the right length for me and are usually too long. I second, however, that the thread it comes with is not the best. Invest in some decent thread and serge away.
I can finaly do rolled hems on my serger. It is EZ to use and does a beautiful job. I have had another brand for over 20 years and could never get the rolled hem feature to work. I also kept it for regular serging, but this one works great on rolled hems and other stuff too.
Brother Designio Series DZ820E Embroidery Only Machine
Brother Designio Series DZ820E Embroidery Machine is a great addition to your home crafting room. Any clothes designer would love embellishing his projects. With this embroidery machine it’s an easy task. With a 5” x 7” embroidery area you can create large designs in a short period of time. With a unique kit that includes plenty of accessories you may embody the most ambitious projects.
- The DZ820E includes two extra embroidery hoops (4×4 inch and 2.5×1 inch), a starter kit and 200 additional embroidery designs on a CD. Virtually everything you need to start embroidering right out of the box!
- Customize in style with 136 built-in embroidery designs for the designer in you.
- Including 6 lettering fonts and 120 frame pattern combinations to take your looks to the next level in fashion design.
- View built-in tutorials and design editing features right on the easy-to-use back-lit LCD touch screen LCD display.
- Comes complete with a full set of designer accessories and is iBroidery.com compatible! Download over 5,000 unique designs, available for individual purchase.
- Helps save time with the reliable, automatic easy needle threading system and automatic thread trimming.
I was a little worried about buying an embroidery machine via on-line purchase, since there’s no training provided like when you buy from a storefront dealer. I did a lot of on-line research before purchasing – wish I could afford one with more features etc; but not right now. It is VERY easy to use – instructions are great and I stitched out 3 or 4 designs the first afternoon. Haven’t had any problems so far – LOVE it.
Maybe I’m simply dazzled because I’ve never had an embroidery machine before, but the things this toy can do are absolutely amazing to me! I’m very impressed at how easy it was for a beginner to get started – I went from opening the box to making little red & green cherries on cotton in less than 45 minutes. It has done everything I asked it to do, from downloading designs to integrating metallic thread. I made a few silly rookie mistakes but they were easy to fix and the machine helped me along.